Freekeh Foods Review and Giveaway
This Giveaway has closed. Check our most recent posts to see if we are running any giveaways.
Have you heard of Freekeh Foods? Yep, it is a crazy name.
Freekeh is an ancient Green Wheat. Freekeh is a process which means “to rub” in Arabic. Freekeh was created by accident nearly 2,000 years ago when a Middle Eastern village was attacked and their crop of young green wheat was set ablaze. Most folks would sulk over their misfortune, but the crafty villagers rubbed off the chaff, cooked it up and “Eureka!” Freekeh was created.
But what is it? This is toasted green wheat. Similar in texture and taste to bulgur wheat. If you are conscious of where your food comes from, you will be pleased to discover this is a USDA Organic product, and Non GMO certified. All of the flavors currently available do not contain any animal products or flavorings, so it is safe for vegans and plant-based eaters.
Cooking instructions are similar to rice, so I prepared a batch in my rice cooker. DisneyGroom and I really enjoyed it.
He preferred it to eat it hot - like rice, with some stir fry veggies and tofu. The tamari flavor was perfect for this.
I actually preferred it cold - add some diced parsley, cherry tomatoes, and a bit of lemon juice to make a tasty tabbouleh salad. Either the original or rosemary sage would work beautifully in a salad.
Much like quinoa, couscous, or wheat berries - you get a slight nutty flavor. I think this might be even more versatile than those three other foods though.
If you would like to try Freekeh, it is available at several major grocers. I have found it at my local Whole Foods, Earth Fare, and Fresh Market.
Try it out in some of your favorite dishes, and if you run out of ideas, there is a recipe library on the Freekeh Foods page.
Now - it's time for the Giveaway
Freekeh Foods is allowing us to give away a package of Freekeh to a reader. The winner can choose any of the following three flavors: original, rosemary sage, or tamari. Review the terms below and then enter via the rafflecopter widget.
Terms of the Giveaway
1) No Purchase Necessary.
2) This Flash Giveaway begins Sunday Sept 27, 2015 and ends Monday Sept 28, 2015 at midnight. Winner will be announced on the Facebook page and this blog post. He or she will be notified Tuesday, Sept 29, 2015.
3) Must be 18 years or older to enter. Must be a U.S. resident.
4) One (1) winner will be selected.
5) Sign in through Rafflecopter below to enter. With your first entry, the app will capture your e-mail or facebook name. This is so we can reach you if you win, in accordance with sweepstakes terms. Your contact info will ONLY be used to contact you if you win.
6) There are additional opportunities for multiple entries.
7) The winner will be chosen at random using the rafflecopter app below. Odds of winning are determined by the number of eligible entries received.
8) In the event winner does not respond to contact attempts via e-mail or facebook name provided, another winner will be selected at random.
9) Void where prohibited.
Disclosure of Material Connection: No financial compensation was received. We received product from Freekeh Foods (through our partnership with Sweat Pink / Fit Approach) in exchange for this review. Regardless, we only recommend products or services we believe will be good for our readers. All opinions stated on this blog are our own. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
For more great giveaways, click the image below