Dopey Training: Back to Back Runs

With the runDisney Dopey Challenge rapidly approaching, I thought it would be a good idea to attempt some back to back races.  Further, I was looking to score a higher corral placement.





Enter the Pine Run at Tall Timbers 20K, this past Saturday, October 12.

The weather was beautiful: nice and cool.  However, the humidity was still pretty high.  I registered for this event rather optimistically - as I prefer trail runs over road.  It doesn't hurt that the wooded trails in my town are pretty awesome - and appear to be straight out of a Disney film.
 




I kind of feel like these guys... Oo - De - Lally
Recently I heard from several people that this race was not a good candidate for a PR.  I was told (after I registered), that the course is 'a bit hilly'.  Now, I had heard these same runners complain about hills on courses that didn't contain hills - so I pushed it to the back of my mind.  After all, this is Florida - how bad could it be?  


Emerging from the woods - red-faced and tired -  Photo Credit: Paul Guyas/ Gulf Winds Track Club


This time, however - they were correct.  The race description uses the term 'undulating', but on a few occasions, I felt like I should be using my hands to help pull myself up the hills.  Silly me, I thought that Tall Timbers referred to the trees, not the monster hills.  Don't get me wrong, I really liked the course. It was just more challenging than I anticipated. 

And it could've been worse.  Like poor Flynn here.





For a small local trail race, this was a fairly well attended event.  Also, the course had great volunteers and water stations.  The second water stop (somewhere near mile 6) was completely decked out for Halloween.  Starting about a tenth of a mile from the water stop, spooky decorations started to appear.  I was still rather optimistic at this point that I was well ahead of my time goal (I wasn't) so I failed to stop and take some pictures.  This was the first themed water stop I have seen locally.   I do hope the runners enjoyed it (I did) and it becomes a tradition. 


The course looped through a timber research facility that is not open to the public.  This once-a-year race is actually the only way for runners to enjoy these trail.  I am glad I took advantage of the opportunity.  This is definitely a race I will look forward to running again. 

Photo credit: Fred Decker /Gulf Winds Track Club

Unfortunately, my finish time won’t be helping me to move up in the Dopey corrals.  However, given the course, I did feel pretty good about my finish time.  I tested out my hydration vest for the first time in race conditions - and there were no issues.  I successfully tried out a new interval:  2:30/1 (run 2 minutes 30 seconds, walk 1 minute). I had no cramping, no injuries, and I worked out the timing of my fuel. All in all, a success.

In fact, I felt good enough to run seven more training miles after the race.  Then to make things more interesting, I ran the Color Me Rad 5K with DisneyBride in the afternoon. (Recap coming soon.)  

Daily total mileage: 20K + 7 Mi + 5K = 22.5 Miles

So this back-to-back running gave me a little taste of what Dopey has in store for me come January.  My next big test will be this Sunday as I run my first full marathon: Running for the Bay. 

  • Are you running Dopey or another runDisney Challenge (Glass Slipper, Goofy)?
  • How is your training going?
  • Are you using local races as training runs?


-DG


2 comments

Sorry to hear about the course. I did Dumbo and I'm about to start training for Glass Slipper. Those are about as back to back as I get- but I will be at marathon weekend cheering yall on!

Good luck with the rest of your training!

Reply

Good luck with your training for the Glass Slipper Challenge. See you in January! -DG

Reply

Post a Comment