Are you ready for the Inaugural Enchanted 10K?

Last spring runDisney made a big announcement in conjunction with Princess Half Marathon weekend.  Following suit with the most recent Disneyland Half, Walt Disney World Marathon, and Tinker Bell Half weekends, the Princess Half Marathon weekend would have a new 10K event added as well.  The Enchanted 10K could be a stand alone race, or done as part of the Glass Slipper Challenge, when combined with the Princess Half Marathon.
 
The popular event sold out months ago as Disney runners seem to be especially eager to try out Inaugural races.  With the addition of the Glass Slipper Challenge, there were even fewer spots available for runners 'only' completing the 10K.
 
While runDisney 5Ks and Half Marathons continue to be extremely popular, the 10K distance provides a nice 'bridge' in distance for runners ready to try a distance beyond 3.1 miles but not quite ready for 13.1.  Or like me - you may just like the 6.2 mile distance and crave anything associated with Disney Princesses.  I did not need any convincing to sign up! 
 
 
The Bling:
Check out this pretty medal!  This beauty will be presented to all finishers of the Enchanted 10K.  I especially like the pumpkin coach - as that is also the symbol used by Disney Fairy Tale WeddingsAnd I love things that reminds me of my wedding.



 

When: 

This Inaugural event is scheduled for Saturday, February 22, 2014 with a start time of 5:30am EST. 
 
Where:
Like the 5K and Half Marathon taking place this weekend, the start area will be at EPCOT.
 
The Course: 
This course is certified by USA Track and Field and is labeled EPCOT 10K.  This is the same course as the new 2014 Walt Disney World Inaugural 'Minnie' 10K that took place in January.
 
 
 
 
For a detailed description of the course, you can view the official map on the USATF site here.
 
DisneyGroom and I both ran the Inaugural Walt Disney World 10K so this will not be our first time running this course.
 
Course Breakdown:
 
Mile 1 Loop around and out of the EPCOT parking area
Mile 2 Enter Osceola Parkway (the on ramp contains a long but not steep, gradual hill)
Mile 3 Continue on Osceola Parkway
Mile 4: Head into World Showcase
Mile 5: Starts when you are halfway through World Showcase, continue through the park and run out International Gateway and through the Boardwalk Resort area
Mile 6: Begins at the Yacht & Beach Club Resort area and goes back into EPCOT, ending just beyond Spaceship Earth.
Finish chute: Takes you right back to the starting area.
 
Pace/Chip Timing:
This event is chip timed and runners are required to maintain a 16 minute per miles pace.  If not, they run the risk of being swept.  Runners were swept at the 10K during Marathon weekend, so it is reasonable to expect this will be enforced at the Enchanted 10K as well.
 
Awards:
There will be overall and age group awards. Men running are not eligible for awards - keeping in mind that the races held during Princess Half Marathon weekend are still classified as 'women's events' that have permitted men to run.
 
Character/Photo opportunities:
 
Prior to the race start, there *might* be some characters out in the staging area.  If they are not there pre-race, some will definitely be there after the race, so runners can get photos wearing their medals.
 
Generally, when one goes through World Showcase, the characters match up with the countries/region - e.g. Mulan in China, Snow White in Germany, Jasmine in Morocco, Sleeping Beauty in France, etc.  There is much speculation on the appearance of the new Princesses: Anna and (Queen) Elsa from the hit film, Frozen.  Norway seems to be a likely choice.  Character locations on the course are no longer published by runDisney.  Since this is a new event, we can't know for sure which characters will be out.  Of course, I am hoping to see the Princesses with their Princes. (fingers crossed)
 
 
 
Be sure to take advantage of the beautiful backdrops available in World Showcase. Each of the countries represented has wonderfully designed buildings and create a beautiful setting.  My personal favorite is Italy.
 
So are you excited for this Inaugural race?
DisneyGroom and I will be running this event together in coordinating costumes.  Be sure to check back after the race for our recaps!
 
See you at Princess weekend!

Run Happily!
~DisneyBride


Check out other 2014 Princess Half Marathon Weekend related blog posts on the Virtual Blog Hop.

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

21 comments

I so wish I was running this event, but alas, I will be living vicariously through y'all! I can't wait to see your costumes!

Reply

I am very excited about this event! Thanks for the info!

Reply

I am very excited about this event! Thanks for the info!

Reply

So psyched for this medal! Plus the course is actually awesome, I really enjoyed it for the WDW 10k. Great write up!

Reply

I've never done a 10k at Disney, so I'm super excited! I don't know what to anticipate doing a race only in one park - as I've always done half marathons. I'm looking forward to this!

Reply

Thanks Lauren! We are really excited about this one. Now if I can just convince DG not to leave me in the dust!

Reply

I hope it helps. I am very familiar with the parks and can picture every bit of the course, but I wanted to provide a breakdown for those that may not be.

Reply

Meg, the medal is really cute so I'm looking forward to it. I admit I wasn't crazy about the first three miles (mainly because the balloon ladies are on my tail!) but I did enjoy the last three miles. :)

Reply

Alicia, I haven't seen the exact numbers, but I expect the race will only be 10,000 or less runners. So this is a HUGE difference from the Halfs, since they are obviously much smaller. The first half of the course, runners can spread out - so even though there isn't much to see, it does thin out the crowd - and that is a definite plus.

Reply
Anonymous mod

I'm looking forward to the 10K as part of the Glass Slipper Challenge. I didn't love the course when I ran it as the Minnie, but I was a bit distracted that day.

Reply

I'm running GSC, and am looking forward to the 10K! I was a little disappointed with the 10K during Marathon Weekend, so I have my fingers crossed that runDisney has stepped up their game a bit for this one!

Reply

The feel of this event is likely to be different. I also think that the runDisney will add additional entertainment in the first three miles in response to runner comments on the Minnie 10k. Good luck with your race. -DB

Reply

I think runDisney has been very responsive to runner critiques in the past. Adding more “Magic” to the first three miles of the 10k should be a pretty easy fix. Enjoy your race. -DB

Reply

Nothing beats a runDisney inaugural! After running the last 2 inaugural 10Ks (yay- that's where I got to meet you!), I am just doing the half this time. After seeing that gorgeous bling, I know I'll regret that decision. I LOVE that th epumpkin holds sentimental value to you and groom, and I can't wait to see what you two run in. Thanks so much for joining the hop- we love having the Disney Bride and Groom!

Reply

So looking forward to this race experience! I can't wait!! :D

Reply

That would ROCK if the princes were out with them! And if Anna and Elsa were out? Stop getting my hopes up! :)

Reply

I think I'm going to like the setup of this course, getting the parking lot/highway miles done at the beginning and having all the character and park fun at the end. I'm starting to get soooo excited!!

Reply

April, a lot of runners weren't too crazy about the first three miles being parking lot and highway - but in a way it is a good thing. Having that much room to spread out - will thin out the masses - so when you do get to EPCOT and the resorts, we are not packed in so tightly. I'm looking forward to it too - without the Dopeys the field will be very different.

Reply

Abby, I hope this this is an Inaugural event - they will really WOW us. And so that's why I am hoping for the royal couples! :)

Reply

I can't either!!! I'll be back down in TWO WEEKS! yeah!

Reply

Didi, we are loving the hop! Hope to do more in future. :) Glad we got to meet also and I'll look for you during PHM weekend.

Reply

Post a Comment